When Your Insurance Will Cover Water Damage

You may only think about your homeowner’s insurance when you pay your premium or when your policy goes up or changes. However, if you need to make a claim, you’re grateful the financial help is available, especially when you face a disaster. Flooding can inflict big problems in your house. Water can ruin building materials, furniture, electronics, personal belongings and more. Fortunately, your insurance company will cover many types of water damage issues. You should understand when your agent will accept and deny your claim.

When You’re on Your Own

You’ll need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy to cover problems such as a sewer backup or a break in the city’s main city water line. Also, if flooding occurs in your home because a nearby waterway overflowed, your homeowner’s policy won’t take effect. Pipe damage is usually covered. Be aware, though, that any damage due to neglect or failure to properly maintain your plumbing is not covered. You also can’t file a claim if you deliberately damage your pipes or appliances.

Sudden and Unexpected Issues

Despite your best efforts, your home could suffer water damage. Even if you maintain and repair pipes and appliances such as dishwashers, washers and refrigerators, problems can still occur. If a pipe suddenly bursts or your water heater explodes, the results could be disastrous. In these cases, your insurance provider should pay for the cleanup and restoration.

Faulty Materials or Construction

Any water issues that stem from product defects are not up to you to cover. If there’s a flood in your house because of poorly installed or constructed pipes or systems, you should file a water claim. Flooding from vandalism should also warrant insurance coverage.

Understand your policy so you can get the help you need during these challenging times. Be aware of when your insurance company will cover and won’t cover water damage.